Quartz vs Granite: What Is The Difference?
Homeowners often mix up quarts and granite or think they are synonymous. But, even though both look magnificent, there are many differences between these two seemingly similar stones. The main one is that granite is a 100% natural stone, while quartz is manmade.
The granite stone comes directly from stone quarries. After it’s excavated, it’s cut up and polished before finally being made into a specific product like a countertop.
A quartz countertop is approximately 95% natural stone. However, the other 5% are additional minerals and substances like resins. Plus, quartz products go through an intense manufacturing and heating process which reduces the natural stone’s authenticity.
Without question, granite offers superior aesthetical value. Because it’s 100% natural and made with minimal human intervention, each granite countertop has unique colors and patterns. For this reason, it’s ideal for homeowners who prefer sustainability and a natural décor style.
On the other hand, quartz countertops are pre-designed and don’t have unique patterns. But, some homeowners prefer this as it allows them to choose the countertop’s design beforehand.
Since granite takes the lead when it comes to aesthetics, one might wonder why quartz exists at all. But, you shouldn’t underestimate this countertop material. It combines granite’s natural look with innovation so it’s the perfect mix of practicality and aesthetics.
Granite is vulnerable to bacteria, oils, and acids, so you must reseal it every year. On the other hand, quartz is super-easy to maintain. You just need to clean it with soap and water from time to time.
When it comes to durability, granite and quartz are evenly matched. Quartz has an advantage in bacteria and oil resistance because it’s not porous. However, granite is much more heat-resistant. That’s why granite is the best kitchen countertop for outdoor spaces. Not only will it resist heat from pans, but also harmful UV rays.
When planning a countertop renovation, the cost is a major factor for most homeowners. But granite and quartz are evenly matched in this category as well. Generally speaking, quartz is more expensive than granite. However, you will spend more on granite in the long run since you will need to reseal and clean it regularly.
Another factor to consider is home value. Many homebuyers put more value on 100% natural materials. That’s why a granite countertop has a higher ROI than quartz.
Granite Countertop Pros & Cons
- High aesthetical appeal
- Higher ROI than quartz
- More sustainable
- Heat and scratch Resistant
- Porous and hard to clean
- Requires annual resealing
Quartz Countertop Pros & Cons
- Customizable design
- Less maintenance
- No need for resealing
- Low heat resistance
- More expensive than granite
What Is the Best Stone Countertop?
Because both materials have their pros and cons, everything depends on your preferences and needs.
If you value aesthetics more than practicality or need a more heat-resistant material, granite is ideal for your bathroom or kitchen countertop. On the other hand, if you want to minimize maintenance and increase durability in your home, quartz is for sure a better option.
To learn more about these amazing materials, contact us today! We are happy to help homeowners choose the best countertops for their homes.